Wee Care’s Parent-Infant PlayGroup is a unique programme that allows babies to learn about themselves and the world in which they live. The programme’s main philosophy is taken from the views of Vygotsky and Bruner, both of whom emphasised the importance of adult input in increasing a child’s level of development.
Parents at Wee Care are encouraged to participate in the learning activities in each playgroup session as an integral part of a triangular model where “partnerships in learning” are reinforced. In turn, our team of specialist educators facilitate in the development of the social bonds that are required for motivated, directed and purposeful play.
The Parent-Infant PlayGroup programme increases the child’s ability to relate socially with others. Babies who come to us early have been observed to start babbling at a peer by the age of 6 months. By 2 years, many of them appear to be more self-confident and articulate.
In addition, the children also seem to have a greater ability to focus on learning tasks, as well as process the physical and social environments in a more organised manner.
ACTIVITIES and FORMAT
The Parent-Infant PlayGroup programme encourages babies to learn through structured activities via exploration, manipulation and discovery. A weekly theme provides the backdrop for learning goals and activities that vary from week to week.
Typically, a Parent-Infant PlayGroup session involves the following:
- Welcome and Music Time
- Stations for Structured Learning including creative play and thinking skills to provide the child with individual attention in a group setting
- Soft-Play and Multi-Sensory Learning for sensorimotor development
- Snack and Circle Time for acquiring social scripts and interaction skills
- Closing and Goodbye
Outdoor Play and Nature Time are available according to the theme for the week and when the weather permits.
The length of each Parent-Infant PlayGroup session is one (1) hour.
PARENT / CAREGIVER INVOLVEMENT
Parent involvement is essential, in line with the Wee Care philosophy of the importance of adult input in increasing a child’s level of development. Involvement is limited to one adult (usually either the father or the mother) per child.
CLASS SIZE and EDUCATOR-CHILD RATIO
Each class can only accommodate a maximum of eight (8) parent-infant pairs who are led and facilitated by two (2) Wee Care educators.
ADMISSION and FEES
Children are admitted into the Parent-Infant PlayGroup programme at the start of each term. Mid-term admissions are possible only when there are vacancies.
A one-time trial session may be requested for S$39.50.
Programme fees (incl. of GST) and the corresponding deposit (excl. of GST) are as follows:
Deposits are refunded according to the terms and conditions of registration.
After ascertaining from our School Administrator that vacancies are available, please:
- Register your child using the prescribed Registration Form that is available at each of our centres.
- Pay a Registration Fee of $220.00 (including GST with effect from January 2011) and an Insurance Fee of $3.00 upon registration. These fees are non-refundable and non-transferable.
- Pay a Deposit upon registration to guarantee your child’s place at Wee Care. The Deposit amount is based on the programme chosen and is refundable according to the terms and conditions of cancellations and withdrawals.
- Submit the Registration Form and the requisite fees in person at our centre or by post. We accept payments by cash, NETS and cheques.
We regret that we cannot set aside places in our centre for registrations that are submitted by post without an accompanying cheque for the appropriate amount.